Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I am Finally Doing This

There is something about being pregnant that has finally motivated me to start doing the things I have always wanted, and changing for the better.  I am becoming a mom! I do not want Addy (my future daughter  due June 7) to grow up the way I did (not that it was all bad), nor end up learning/changing things at 27 like me.  I want her to grow up with good habits in place.

I understand that this is probably hormones :), and may not last past month 6 (I am 22 weeks this Thursday).  I am still thankful that it's happening at all. :)

This blog started due to my homemade laundry detergent (another post about this in the future), and the amount of feedback from Facebook friends and a co-worker who suggest the blog.  After posting
the link to The Zero Waste Home on Facebook, a discussion among friends led to me telling them I am in the process of making my own reusable flannel wipes (again, another post on this in the future) for my baby. Which led to this comment: "Jenny--keep me updated as to things you are making to keep me motivated!"  This made my day.  Sealing the deal that a blog is appropriate for the journey I'm embarking on.


I have so many things I want to try to save money and/or become more environmentally friendly such as:
  • quit using the dryer so much (if at all) (This will be difficult as I recently learned a clothesline is agianst the HOA here)
  • becoming a better cook
  • de-cluttering the house
  • getting rid of my car
  • cloth diapering
  • no more paper towels
  • greener cleaning (DIY cleaners I imagine) 
  • start a garden (next year, not this year as I can't see myself raising a newborn and newborn carrots and tomatoes)
  • living with less (modeling most of what Bea and her family from the Zero Waste Home does)
  • etc. etc. etc. 
I also need to learn the "basics" of being a stay at home mom:
  • cleaning (I'm terrible at this, simply terrible.)
  • cooking (not motivated in the kitchen at all, but hopefully this will change)
  • taking care of a baby
  • less procrastination (the reason all the above as never been done)
  • sticking to a schedule
  • sticking to a budget (I am determined to do what I have to do to stay at home with the baby at the least the first couple of years, and am willing to sacrifice a lot to do this)
  • juggling a husband, baby, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 tanks (one with three turtles, one with the only fish the turtles didn't eat), and my dad whom we live with
  • becoming more patient
  • etc etc etc.

This list will get longer, and I intend on writing about each of these goals, what works, what doesn't, my personal adventures in these matters, etc. I hope others read this to help encourage and inform me, and possibly be inspired too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged! The only rule: Play nice! Everyone has a point of view, but you don't have to be a meanie when sharing it. Thanks!

Pin It button on image hover