Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mostly From Scratch Wednesday: Chicken Burritos

Have you ever tried Stouffer's chicken enchiladas?  Delicious!
Sinfully delicious.  Between whatever they use to make frozen foods taste good that are usually bad for you and all the packaging that gets thrown away (hopefully recycled)  this was a good first meal to try and substitute.  I also read while researching the microwave popcorn bags, that the same terrible ingredient found in the bag is also found in the plastic of these convenient easy meals.

So I searched for what I thought would be an comparable substitute on Cooks.com.  I love this website because there is about a million variations on anything you want to make.  I chose one with simple ingredients, and something I could put in the oven.  Not sure my obsession with putting it in the oven, but that was the requirement.  Maybe due to trying to mimic the frozen dinner.

Delicious!  Even though I bought soft taco tortillas instead of burrito sized.  Oops. In the end in worked out because I also did not cook enough chicken.  Lesson learned.  I also added cooked rice mixed with salsa at the bottom of the pan to try and get it closer to the Stouffer's meal.

Next time:
  • More chicken, less salsa.  I like tons of salsa, but husband was not impressed by the ratio.
  • Possibly add beans to the mix.
  • Possibly add mexican style corn to the rice.  The Stouffer recipe has corn in it, and it's only one simple step.
  • Track the cost.  I had most of the ingredients at home, so I did not spend much money.  I will update this post afterwards as that is another reason for this experiment.
  • Buy the right type of tortillas!
  • Find a good virgin margarita or sangria recipe to go along with this yummy Mexican dish!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged! The only rule: Play nice! Everyone has a point of view, but you don't have to be a meanie when sharing it. Thanks!

Pin It button on image hover